Skip to main content

Paleo Pina Colada Bites (Two Ways)

OMG - I think I just had a taste of Paleo nirvana when I ate one of these!
Paleo Pina Colada Bites v1.0 Raw
I wanted to replicate the flavours of one of my favourite but sadly hugely sugar-laden cocktails - the Pina Colada.
I set out to make a raw version but when I realised that the raw version doesn't make for a very portable snack (it needs refrigerating as the fresh fruit makes it quite a wet consistency), I wondered how they'd taste baked... Oh my! I can't quite decide which version, raw or baked, I prefer so feel free to split your dough in half and make a batch of each.

Paleo Pina Cola Bites Two Ways

Grain-free, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined Sugar-free

Makes 30

Ingredients:
1 cup fresh pineapple, roughly chopped
1 1/2 cup unsweetened dessicated coconut
1 cup raw unsalted cashew nuts
1/2 cup soft dates, pitted (approx 16)
pinch of salt
Optional: extra dessicated coconut for rolling

Instructions:
1. Add cashews, dates, salt and coconut to food processor until combined and forming a rough breadcrumb texture.
2. Add the pineapple and blitz again to combine into a sticky dough. Don't blitz excessively if you prefer a chunkier texture but a smoother texture works better if baking.
3. Roll dough into small balls. Roll each ball in dessicated coconut if using.
4. Place balls on a parchment lined baking sheet and pop in freezer to set. Can be stored in fridge but keep better in freezer. Will need to be removed from freezer a few minutes prior to eating.
5. For the baked version, placed rolled balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet, flattening each ball slightly to form a disc. Bake in preheated oven 175 degrees celsius, 350 degrees farenheit, for 10 minutes until golden on the edges. Cool on tray before transferring to cooling rack.
Paleo Pina Colada Bites v2.0 Baked
Gooey middle of v2.0 contrasts with creaminess of v1.0 
Notes:
  • We discovered on taste testing v1.0 that my 6 year old (who we previously suspected of a cashew nut allergy), has a confirmed cashew nut allergy (her lips started itching in the same way they do when she accidentally comes in contact with peanuts). Yet she STILL INSISTED on trying the second version - such was her love of the taste of these bites which she describes as "coconut pineapple ice cream". I have promised to make these next time using sunflower seeds instead of the cashew nuts for a Nut-free version (v 3.0). She preferred the ice cream texture of v1.0.
  • The baked v2.0 is slightly sweeter in taste - cooking the fruit seems to intensify and caramelise the flavours - this is my 4 year old's preferred version!
  • WARNING! It takes the willpower of a superhero to stop eating at just one. My 4 year old lay on the kitchen floor pleading for more!


Comments