Skip to main content

Paleo Maki Rolls aka Sushi

Paleo Maki Rolls aka Sushi
I have been the target of a terrible attack!



Some still-undiagnosed 'bug' had the audacity to strike me down in the midst of one of my busiest weeks of the year. I had my daughter's 7th birthday celebration to organise, together with a laser party for 25 screaming 6/7 year olds, a chaplet yet to be made for a spring festival (for those who don't know, that's a woven floral wreath that only took a mere 6 hours to make last year) and a holiday to pack for this coming weekend.

Instead of powering through my To-Do list like the Tasmanian Devil on speed, I spent 48 hours in bed.

I tried to power through on a rather flat battery for the first half day after waking with a 39 deg c temperature but by evening the battery was well and truly dead. Needless to say I had to give the gym a miss for a few days.

Anyhoo, I finally emerged from my fog of fever, chills, headache, muscle ache, sore throat, diarrhea, fainting and a stint in the back of an ambulance! I headed back to the gym for a light workout this morning and cooked my first proper post-sickness lunch. Yay! There are only so many bananas and boiled eggs a person can eat before taste buds start protesting.

My maki rolls were just the right side of flavour and food density - i.e. suitably light! Cauliflower is a great source of antioxidants and Vit C, as well as an excellent source of Vit K, providing decent anti-inflammatory benefit. It is high in fibre and, most usefully for me right now, the sulforaphane made from a glucosinolate in cauliflower can help protect the stomach lining - bonus!

Seaweed is about as nutrient dense as it gets - packed with iodine, calcium, protein, Vits B and A as well as fibre. Plenty of good fats can be found in the mackerel and avocado and a host of additional antioxidants and vitamins round off the meal in the red peppers and red cabbage.

Take that, sick bug!

Paleo Maki Rolls aka Sushi

Gluten-free, Grain-free, Dairy-free, Nut-free, Refined Sugar-free

Ingredients:

Serves 1

Sushi nori seaweed sheet
Approx 1 cup cauli-rice, i.e. cauliflower blitzed to rice-size grains in food processor, or grated
1/4 cup smoked mackerel fillets, or any fish of choosing
2-3 thick slices of avocado
2-3 strips of red bell peppers
Shredded red cabbage
Optional: sushi mat for rolling (I didn't bother getting one out to make these as it didn't seem worth it for 1 roll for my single serve lunch!)

Instructions:
1. Microwave bowl of cauliflower for 1-2 minutes until lightly cooked. Set aside to cool while preparing other ingredients.
2. Lay nori sheet onto a clean chopping board, shiny side down. Cover 3/4 of the sheet with the cooled cauli-rice, leaving the topmost quarter of the sheet uncovered (the edge furthest from you). Press the rice down firmly to make a compact layer,
3. Place a row of the pepper strips, avocado, red cabbage and mackerel a couple of cm from the bottom edge of the sheet (the edge closest to you).
4. Carefully roll sushi starting from the bottom edge, like a swiss roll. Ensure to roll tightly to avoid it falling apart when being cut or eaten. This is easier to achieve with the sushi rolling mat - I was just being lazy!
5. Wet the uncovered edge of nori with water to seal the roll.
6. Sealed edge down, slice the maki roll into approx 5-6 pieces, discarding the ends which never look very pretty!

Comments